Some of the most exciting television shows on the air right now include Arrow and The Flash, popular superheroes based on characters from DC Comics.
The main draws to both those series include charismatic leads, taunt plots, and high-octane, ass-kicking action.
Now those shows need to make room for another exciting DC superhero joining the screen.
NIGHTWING: The Series is a not-for-profit fan web series that tells the story of Dick Grayson, who was Batman's first partner, Robin.
As an adult, Dick assumes the new codename Nightwing after splitting with Bruce Wayne over differences in their crime fighting ideologies. He establishes himself in city of Bludhaven to begin a new phase of his vigilante career.
However, Dick discovers it's not easy to escape the shadow of his legendary mentor.
Created by Danny Shepherd (who also stars as the titular hero) and Jeremy Le for Ismahawk Productions, NIGHTWING: THE Series is certain to produce multiple geekgasms in Batman fans specifically, and also to those who love well-crafted superhero stories in general.
Though the series is fan-made, that label feels like a misnomer because this production looks as if it belongs on television right alongside shows like Gotham and Arrow.
It's important to note, due to NIGHTWING being based on intellectual property owned by DC Comics and Warner Brothers, legally this series is not-for profit.
This means everyone involved in the production worked for free, because they are passionate fans themselves.
That said, the production value is nothing less than top-notch, starting with the scripts written by N.R. Miller.
Mr. Miller has co-written an origin story for Nightwing that stays true to the source material, while also giving it a uniquely modern sheen.
He makes the story accessible not only to diehard Batman fans, but also to those who may be unfamiliar with the comic books.
Comic book fans shouldn't worry though, there is PLENTY of fan service in NIGHTWING.
There are numerous "easter-egg" references made to other characters, organizations, and pivotal events that populate the grander DC Comics universe in which Batman exists.
Still, what's most impressive is this fan service does not come at the expense of telling a original and compelling narrative.
The many other highlights of this production include:
- Gorgeous original artwork by Kashawn Henry and colorist Jorrel Belmonte, ingeniously used as the opening title sequences revealing the origin of Dick's partnership with Bruce Wayne
- Exciting direction by Adam Zielinski that gives the entire web series a vibrant, frenetic energy
- A cast of very capable actors - including a few industry vets
- A layered portrayal of Dick Grayson by Danny Shepherd. Mr. Shepherd effectively conveys the devil-may-care attitude core to Dick's personality, while underscoring his angst at the rift between he and his former mentor
- Explosive fight choreography that is expertly staged and lit
- Fantastic costume designs by series co-creator Jeremy Le
- Slick visual effects, including those for Nightwing's specialized computer system
- An epic and lush musical score by composer John Scigulinsky you'll want to own
Least but not least, NIGHTWING was filmed in HD using a RED camera rig, adding to the project's cinematic look and feel.
Watch the dynamic official trailer here ...
To watch the complete series, check out the official series YouTube Channel and subscribe: Ismahawk.
NIGHTWING: The Series is definitely one of the best web series I've seen so far this year, and definitely gets my highest recommendation.
Help Keep The 7th Matrix Independent and Ad-Free!