The best way to describe the sci-fi/fantasy/post-apocalyptic web series Scavengers Of The Scarlet Wastes is it is a love letter to gamers and its fans.
Produced by Kenaz Concepts, the production team includes martial artists, visual and special effects professionals, and actors - all of whom love gaming in all its iterations.
The series follows Mafit (James Barton), Claymore (Andrew Traves), and Fox (Emma Cartledge) as they traverse a blasted wasteland scavenging, arguing amongst themselves, and engaging in combat with various opponents - just like in your typical role-playing (RPG)/Dungeons & Dragons game campaign.
Love of gaming and general geekdom permeates every aspect of this production, making it a joy to watch.
Some of the many homages to gaming and geek culture include:
- cool visual cues such as onscreen status bars, level-up alerts, inventory item lists, and detailed attribute scores for each character
- numerous easter eggs hidden in the background. (Hint: look for shout-outs to very popular sci-fi tv series)
- impressive fight choreography that often mimics the turn-based combat systems of RPGs
- a synthesized music score influenced by classic arcade games
- weapons, costumes and props inspired by designs found in gaming
To get a feel for this project, watch the series trailer ...
The show has one completed season in the can, and just recently launched its second. To view all episodes currently available, visit the show's channel on YouTube: Kenaz Guy.
To learn more about the production, check out the official web site: ScavengersWebSeries.
I definitely recommend Scavengers Of The Scarlet Wastes because of the love and joy that went into its impressive production.
If you love gaming, sci-fi, and fantasy, you owe to it yourself to check out this very enjoyable series.
Help Keep The 7th Matrix Independent and Ad-Free!